Startup sequence

Chris Miller Chris at InfoGreat.com
Wed Nov 15 19:41:05 UTC 2006

Hi Tom,

Thanks.  Mine too.   I was confused when I posted my original question - I
had an "ifup." entry in rc.local, which of course happens last; it was a
debugging artifact.  Right, so you've clear that mystery - good job - but
the problem persists.  Maybe you can help me untangle my thinking.

Here's the snippet from the boot log...

Early on ( this is probably runlevel 3,4 or 5 - and I suspect 5 because
id:5:initdefault ).
	Determining IP information for eth0... failed.   [FAILED]
	:
Later ( this must be runlevel 3,4 or 5 - and I suspect 5 because
id:5:initdefault ).
	Starting dhcpd: [FAILED]

Apparently there is no provision for the interface to come up in the case
where no dhcp server can be found.  I find that difficult to believe and I
would prefer to believe that I have misconfigured something.  It seems like
it should come up provisionally and continue to broadcast "DHCPDISCOVER"s.