Other subnet

Michael Davidson michael at bbd.co.za
Wed Nov 15 11:12:52 UTC 2006

Zachár Balázs wrote:
> Helo @list!
>
> I have a question:
>

> Can I serve dhcp to an subnet which I haven't any interface in?
>
> So,
>
> On my dhcp server my eth0 has 192.168.1.1/24 ip address, and I would
> like to serve dhcp to the 192.168.10.0 network too.
>
> It is possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Balázs

Yes you can. Configure the subnet in your  config file as you would a
local subnet. In the router that connects  the subnet to the rest of
your network you will need to configure a "dhcp helper address"  this
address will be the address of your dhcp server . The idea is that the
router will see the broadcasts from a booting pc and will encapsulate
them and send them directly to your dhcp server.  The dhcp  responses
will go back via that same route.

Do NOT use the "shared" attribute for this.  This attribute is for
another situation.

Regards Mike D.