dhcpserv with Bonding interface

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Mon Nov 6 23:26:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 09:55:54AM +1100, John Abbott wrote:
> Having a little trouble with a new dhcp server setup to failover, the
> primary server in remote site uses a bonding interface ( please don't
> ask why ). It seems from my lowly technical ability that dhcp has a prob
> binding to the bond0 device ( 2 x 1Gig Ether ), has this been discussed
> before or anyone have experience using dhcp and etherchannel type
> devices on linux?

I've never heard of anyone making this work.

But then again, people tend not to tell us when things work.

The DHCP software has to use BPF sockets on the interfaces in
question, and it throws out kinds of interfaces it doesn't
understand...in terms of link layer framing.  Since we use BPF, we
also have to do our own link layer, IP, UDP, and finally bootp/DHCP.