Requests on Second NIC

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu May 25 22:24:07 UTC 2006

Rimike Y Liverpool wrote:

>When I look at the logs, I see the requests from the other network.
>Granted, they get NACKs with a message saying "wrong network" but I was
>wondering if it would be possible not to even get those.

 From the wrong subnet, or from the wrong physical network ?

For example, assuming you are only using eth1 and a.b.c.x is the
subnet on eth0 ...

If you see "blah DHCPREQUEST for a.b.c.123 from aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff
(xyz) via eth0"
then there is a problem and you are getting packets from the wrong
physical network

However, if you see "blah DHCPREQUEST for a.b.c.123 from
aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff (xyz) via eth1"
then you need to figure out why requests are coming in for the wrong
subnet on the right interface.

Do you have clients that move around ? If a client moves from one
network to the other you would expect to see the requests with wrong
network as the client attempts to renew it's previous lease.

Simon