Multiple DHCP server processes

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Thu May 25 10:19:34 UTC 2006

>From: Arvids <arvids at vendomar.lv>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: Multiple DHCP server processes
>Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 11:14:55 +0300
>
>Hi,
>
>is it possible to run more than one DHCP server instance on one server(each
>DHCP server process on their own alias or physical interface)?
>
>Regards, Arvids

Is there some reason why you want to run more than one instance?

A single instance can support multiple interfaces and networks. You can
create entirely different values or defaults in each subnet or group of
subnets if required. When this question has been asked in the past it
often turns out that a single configuration can easily achieve the
desired goals.

About the only reason I could think of would be if you wanted separate
adminitration of each dhcp process, but even then you could use include
files in the main configuration, and give write permission on each
included file to the appropriate administrative group.

regards,
-glenn