Server Down - How should Client Act?

Douglas Armstrong doug at ovationdata.com
Mon May 1 18:05:10 UTC 2006

 that is very old  code.  try to update the DHCP parts to the latest.
Doug Armstrong
www.ovationdata.com[1]

Melody Helt wrote: Both server and client are Redhat 9 From: Carl Karsten
<carl at personnelware.com>[2] Reply-To: dhcp-users at isc.org[3] To:
dhcp-users at isc.org[4] Subject: Re: Server Down - How should Client Act?
Date:Mon, 01 May 2006 01:06:03 -0500 Melody Helt wrote: I have my default
lease set up for 3 mins for experimentation. I am giving out a static IP
based on MAC address. My server does down. Using ethereal to watch the
network traffic, I see that at about 1/2 the time of the lease, the client
sends out a DHCPREQUEST message then 5 seconds later sends out another
DHCPREQUEST. Nothing else happens. After the lease time expires, the server
starts up again. No communication occurs between client &server. The client
has to be rebooted in order for it to communicate &get an IP from the
server.>From reading on the internet, I thought that once the lease expired,
the client would keep broadcasting a message trying to find a host. This
doesn't seem to be the case in my experiment. Should the client keep
broadcasting? In this situation, is there anyway to get the client &server
tocommunicate without having to reboot the client? In case any of the
suggestions dont work, what OS is the client? Carl K
yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today - it's FREE!
http://messenger.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/[5]

--- Links ---
   1 http://www.ovationdata.com
   2 mailto:carl at personnelware.com