how is the client identifer used in other DHCP servers.

Simon Kelley simon at thekelleys.org.uk
Thu Mar 23 07:39:19 UTC 2006

David W. Hankins wrote:

>>How do other DHCP servers react to option 61, type 0?
>

> As far as I am aware, in the exact same way.  I think all the server
> manufacturers know that doing anything different would probably result
> in incompatible and broken behaviours.
>
> At least I hope they do.

Dnsmasq treats client-ids as opaque blobs, with a single exception that
acknowledges the "zero type is string" convention. If a client-id starts
with a zero, then an attempt is made to match against any configured ids
both with and without the zero. So a configuration option like this:

dhcp-host=id:"fred",1.2.3.4

will match (and assign a fixed address to) both client-id

and

Cheers,

Simon.