how is the client identifer used in other DHCP servers.

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Mar 22 20:29:47 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 12:12:15PM -0500, Ralph Blach wrote:
> Let me be more specific, do other DHCP server support sub-option 0 of the
> client identifer?
> So can I compose a unique string and send it other dhcp servers and have it
> interpreted.

The behaviour you're describing is a convention, not a standard.

All DHCP servers I'm aware of treat the entire glob as an opaque field,
and no other behaviour is currently defined in any reference (although
with recent work a client identifier starting with 255 is expected to
be produced a certain way - this is irrelevant as no new behaviour to
undertake to digest the contents of an option of that format has been
defined).

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."