a Strange Deletion

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Mar 22 18:04:27 UTC 2006

	I recently found out that an A record in our zone disappeared
mysteriously several days ago.  After using the journalprint function
of bind and matching the serial number, I found out that the dhcp
server appears to be the one that removed the record.  The event that
triggered the removal was what appears to be the expiration of a lease
in the same subnet, but with a totally different IP address.

	I have seen A records go poof when there are multiple hosts
that all "think" they should have the same name.  They keep stepping
on each other and zapping the forward lookup, but usually the reverse
stays.

	The A record in question was not even in the dhcp lease range
for that network and the only things tying it all together are the time,
down to the second that it occurred as well as the zone name.

	Basically, I look at the journal and see ad2.ceat.okstate.edu
deleted in zone X at the very second that a personal work station's
lease, also in ceat.okstate.edu expired and the forward and reverse
maps were removed by our dhcp server.  The dhcp server, however, did
not remove the reverse map for the system whose forward A record got
clobbered so I really think this didn't just glitch and remove the
A record.

	Does anyone have any idea what could have transpired to cause
this to happen?

	Thank you.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer