XP clients sometimes ignore DHCPOFFERs

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Mar 16 21:19:29 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 03:37:03PM -0500, Jeff Wieland wrote:
> You're right, of course.  If it's possible to configure the length of
> the lease time to be relatively short on the home router, that might
> help.  My Netgear doesn't appear to have such an option, though.

Asking all your clients to configure their own DHCP administrative
domains to use small lease times is not really scalable.

So it would still be good to figure out what special sauce is in
MS's DHCP packets that somehow makes this just work for them.

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."