DHCPD not recording static IP address leases. - Trying again.

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Thu Mar 16 21:11:04 UTC 2006

Host statements with fixed addresses ("static leases") are not and never
will be recorded in any lease state database.

A 3.1 feature presently queued on HEAD (and therefore near impossible to
be removed before release) introduces "reserved" leases, with failover
protocol support for same.

Reserved leases are the same as dynamic leases in all respects except
one: It may only be allocated to a single client, possessing a single
identity.

Other than that, they follow the same state engine, passing from ACTIVE
to EXPIRED, 'on commit' events are executed, the whole lot.

I know it's been years since DHCP has seen a feature release.  I'm
working on that as fast as I can.

--
David W. Hankins		"If you don't do it right the first time,
Software Engineer			you'll just have to do it again."