DHCP support for Infiniband

Eli Cohen eli at mellanox.co.il
Thu Mar 16 15:27:16 UTC 2006

Hi,
In the past I have raised here the issue of supporting InfiniBand by the
DHCP server. I was concerned then by the fact that the server did not
transmit back the client identifier sent by the client. I actually was
seeking a way to filter out responses from the server since they are
broadcast (the client sets the broadcast flag). Recently I learned that
the xid field of the bootp protocol serves just for this purpose. So
that means that the the server is not required to send back the client
identifier. In fact RFC 2131 says the server MUST NOT send the client
identifier. However, the xid field is chosen by each client is random
value and it is possible that two clients will choose the same value
which could cause a problem.

I would appreciate comments on this.

Eli