"peer holds all free leases" message

Kirsten Petersen kirsten.petersen at oregonstate.edu
Mon Mar 13 22:14:01 UTC 2006

This problem has just bit us in the rear again.

A couple of our subnets started getting the "peer holds all free leases"
error again, on both servers.  I tried the work-around that worked last
time - stopping dhcp on the secondary and nuking the leases file - but it
didn't change anything this time.  The errors persisted.

In an act of desperation, I whacked the leases file on the primary, too.
Now it is in recover and is saying "not responding (recovering)" to many
requests, although it is ACKing some requests, too.  Strangely, the
dhcpd.leases file does not contain any leases yet...

So, apparently that wasn't such a good idea.  Is there anything I can do
to prevent this "peer holds all free leases" issue from coming up again?
I'm feeling very powerless right now.  :(  Perhaps our config should be
different.  This is the present config:

Primary:

failover peer "dhcp" {
         primary;
         address 128.193.x,x;
         port 520;

         # our peer is ns2
         peer address 128.193.x.2x;
         peer port 520;

         max-response-delay 60;
         max-unacked-updates 10;
         mclt 3600;
         split 128;
         load balance max seconds 3;
}

secondary:

failover peer "dhcp" {
         secondary;
         address 128.193.x,x;
         port 520;

         # ns1 is our secondary
         peer address 128.193.x.x;
         peer port 520;

         max-response-delay 60;
         max-unacked-updates 10;
         mclt 3600;
         load balance max seconds 3;
}

We are running 3.03.  Any suggestions are welcome.  Would it be better to
set these up so that the secondary is just an emergency failover?  Also,
where can I find detailed information about how the failover and pool
sharing works?  (It's all voodoo to me at this point.)

Thanks.

Kirsten Petersen
Network Services * Oregon State University
http://oregonstate.edu/net * irc.oregonstate.edu #osu-is
"Go to the edge of the cliff and jump off. Build your wings on the way down."
- Ray Bradbury