dhclient information with multiple mac address

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Mar 11 07:43:23 UTC 2006

Ralph Blach wrote:

>compter A needs to manage several other ethernets on computers B,C...,
>(not on computer A  and Computers B, C...  cannot do the DHCP protocal)
>, but it has their mac address and can set their ip address address.

It might be easier to use the same MAC address and change the client
ID for the different requests, IIRC this is what MS do for their RAS
service. Doing it this way avoids any need to handle the clients MAC
addresses to be able to get replies. So you might try sending
requests with the Client ID set to something like "dnsalias.org
aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff" where aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff is the end clients MAC
address (or any other UNIQUE attribute you have available).

This will work because in DHCP, the client ID is actually the primary
key for the lease database - the MAC address is only used if there is
no client ID.

I don't know how easy dhclient is to mange for unusual things like
this, so it might be better to use something else (like Perl as
someone has already suggested).

Simon