Setting hostname via DHCP for Bonded Interface

Aaron Randall aaron.randall at visionoss.com
Fri Jun 9 09:39:00 UTC 2006

Hi All.

I am attempting to set the hostname of my servers via DHCP.  To test, I
am simply typing "dhcpcd -H eth2" and the hostname appears correctly.
The issue I am having is that it works when I specify a set Interface,
but will not working for my bonded interfaces e.g."dhcpcd -H bond0" does
nothing.
If I use the debug flag I see...

laptop ~# dhcpcd -dH bond0
dhcpcd: MAC address = 00:00:00:00:00:00
dhcpcd[11140]: dhcpStart: retrying MAC address request (returned
00:00:00:00:00:00)
dhcpcd: MAC address = 00:00:00:00:00:00
dhcpcd[11140]: dhcpStart: retrying MAC address request (returned
00:00:00:00:00:00)
dhcpcd: MAC address = 00:00:00:00:00:00
dhcpcd[11140]: broadcasting DHCP_REQUEST for 192.168.5.89

dhcpcd[11140]: timed out waiting for DHCP_ACK response

dhcpcd[11140]: broadcasting DHCP_DISCOVER

dhcpcd[1140]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP server response

...but If i do the same for eth2 (one of the interfaces that makes up
bond0), I see that the interface gets an IP address, and the hostname is
set correctly.

In my /etc/conf.d/net file, I have specified "dhcpcd_bond0="-t 90 -i
laptop -H"" but this does not seem to work.

Any ideas on setting the hostname via dhcp for a bonded interface?

Many thanks! :D