Failover without shared-network?

David W. Hankins David_Hankins at isc.org
Wed Jul 19 18:18:18 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 12:42:46PM -0500, Ken Roberts wrote:
> The error message I got was in /var/log/messages.  When I started the
> server it complained that my failover peer could not be defined outside
> of a shared-network, or something similar.  Then the server would exit.

I'm guessing you had 'failover peer "foo";' configured inside something
that was not a pool {} clause (eg a subnet {} or host {} or the root
scope or something).

Maybe too many }'s on the line above or something of that nature.

I think 'failover peer "foo";' was intended to be allowed inside a
shared-network declaration (to apply to all subnets and pools),
but that's not the general practice of config (in fact, this may
more likely be an artefact of early development that never got
removed).