dhcpd ddns request 1 sec timeout

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Wed Dec 27 14:05:57 UTC 2006

>Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 14:32:42 +0900
>From: "Seiji T" <mlbots at gmail.com>
>To: dhcp-users at isc.org
>Subject: dhcpd ddns request 1 sec timeout
>
>Hello all,
>
>Is there any rationale to setting the default dhcpd ddns timeout to 1
>sec and not 2 sec? I am using dhcpd 3.0.3 .
>
>I am seeing my dhcpd ddns request being failed b/c of the 1 sec
>timeout. I did some packet sniffing and it seems that a lot of the
>ddns server response takes just a little over 1 sec (<<2 sec). I am
>wondering what kind of effect it might have if I set it to 2 sec. The
>reason I am wondering and not doing is b/c I can't replicate the
>production enviroment due to resource issues.
>
>I would love to hear from people who tried different timeout values.

The dhcp server is single threaded, so it blocks while the dns update
is done. If it waits too long it may miss other incoming dhcp requests.

If your incoming dhcp rate is pretty low then there should be little
harm in bumping the timeout up to two seconds. But really you should
look at your DNS infrastructure and see if there is a way to improve
it's response.

regards,
-glenn
--