agent.circuit-id as dhcp-client-identifier

Frode Nordahl frode at nordahl.net
Mon Dec 18 18:08:23 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am setting up ISC DHCPD to serve up addresses for xDSL clients. Our
equipment provides network-wide unique information about each client
in the agent.circuit-id option.

We need to support dynamic allocation as well as static allocation,
and would like to make this as flexible as possible, and avoid
setting aside separate pools or reserve space for static allocation.

After reviewing documentation and doing alot of tests, it is clear to
me that one get's the most out of ISC DHCPD by eithier identifying
the clients with the hardware ethernet address or dhcp-client-
identifier.

Using hardware ethernet address is a non-option as our customer might
switch his CPE without us knowing it.

With some creative use of classes we have a somewhat working setup
that does what we want based on the circuit-id, but I would really
like to benefit from all of ISC DHCPDs functionality by using
supported attributes.

Is it possible to configure ISC DHCPD to set dhcp-client-identifier
to the value of agent.circuit-id before further processing incoming
requests?

--
Frode Nordahl