Failover and pools with single machines

Tina Siegenthaler tina at zool.unizh.ch
Mon Dec 18 12:46:58 UTC 2006

Simon

Thank you so much for answering my questions again... sorry for
asking so much, but I have absolutely no experience with failover.

> Clients will renew by unicast packet directly to the server they got
> their lease from. Since most of your clients already had an active
> lease, they will continue renewing it from the old server.
>
> Any NEW clients will get distributed in a semi random manner between
> the servers, as will clients which let their leases expire.

Hmm, I was t hinking it would be something like that. Anything I can
do to force clients to get a "new" lease? Deleting the dhcpd.leases
file, maybe? Or ist that a bad idea? Hmm, now I think of it, this
will probably not help, will it? Since the client will still send the
request to the "old" server? Best thing will probably be to just
wait. Christmas holidays are approaching, and I hope that a lot of
leases will expire during that time (provided people shut down their
computers...).

> Something else to bear in mind is the the response time of the
> servers, if one is consistently faster at getting a reply on the wire
> then it will get most of the clients.

  This shouldn't be the case; for now, both servers are in the same
room on the same switch (yes I know, if there's a fire in that room,
I'll be in trouble. But at the moment, there isn't any other place
available).

Tina