Failover and pools with single machines

Tina Siegenthaler tina at zool.unizh.ch
Fri Dec 15 14:08:50 UTC 2006

Am 14.12.2006 um 20:37 schrieb John Wobus:

> Tina,
>
> If, as you say, you need the lease to be in the lease file, is there
> some specific
> use to which you put this file that determines what data must be in
> it?
>   This
> could be crucial.

I use reportdhcp.pl to monitor leases via my browser, and I log all
leases that are given out with syslog (We have to keep a record for 6
months). So it's more a matter of convenience to have all IP
addresses and matching MAC addresses in one place. Besides, that way,
we can see if a fixed address hasn't been used for some time, and we
can then check whether this host still exists (not all people here
come to see us when they are leaving...).

> I think Simon's proposed solution will work as advertised, but will
> show
> different-looking lease-file entries on the two servers.  Using a
> failover
> pool, the two lease files will show consistent data except during
> short
> transition times.  On the other hand, with non-failover (independent)
> pools, as
> Simon suggested, the lease files can more often hold differing
> information: one
> lease file showing the address assignment while the other does not.

The setup has now been running for ten minutes, and it seems that the
leases are logged identically on both servers, even the "fixed" ones.
But it's only ten minutes... I'll have to check again on Monday and
compare the logs and lease files.

Tina