unsolicited DHCP parameters [was: dhcpd and Vista]

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Fri Dec 1 03:04:51 UTC 2006

Microsoft Win2K DHCP server gives out responses for parameters the client
does not even ask for.  I discovered this with a V-Brick product several
years ago.

We were setting these up for non-static deployment across campus, and for
the life of me I couldn't make it work.  So I connect to the serial
interface and learn that the gateway and subnet mask aren't correct, they
seem semi-random.  I then tried the V-Brick against a test Win2K box on a
separate subnet and it works just fine!

Certain that ISC's DHCP server was in a good shape, I whipped out Ethereal
to look at the packet exchanges of both Win2K's DHCP server and ISC.  The
DHCP request from the V-Brick only asked for an IP address -- not even a
subnet mask!  So ISC's DHCP server wasn't handing it out.  And Win2K was
providing it, unannounced.

To resolve the problem I found an option in ISC's DHCP to give out the
subnet mask and gateway anyways -- problem solved.

I filed a bug report with V-Brick, but it was not addressed for at least a
year, after which I left the school.

Frank