disable logging of normal operation

Glenn Satchell Glenn.Satchell at uniq.com.au
Mon Aug 28 12:20:11 UTC 2006

Hi Yoav,

You probably want to change syslog.conf to use daemon.notice. See the
syslog.conf manual page for a definition of the different levels you
can log messages at. Not sure what the exact default value is for your
platform but it might be info or debug.

The range of levels is:

     emerg, alert, crit, err, warning, notice, info, debug

with emerg logging the fewest messages and debug logging the most.

Selecting a given level includes messages at any higher level, eg
'notice' will also include messages logged at warning, err, crit,
alert, and emerg.

If notice still gives too many messages, then try warning, then err, etc.

You need to restart syslogd (or kill -HUP) after changing the file.

regards,
-glenn
--
Glenn Satchell       mailto:glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au  |  Heard about