Static Allocation Not Working

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Wed Aug 16 18:21:45 UTC 2006

Aaron Thompson wrote:

>If I used an address from the pool for a host statement could I have
>duplicate addresses? Or does the server know it's in use by the host
>statement?

The server does not track static address assignments and will quite
happily give out an address to a dynamic client that is also
configured to be used by another device via a host statement.
Especially with the number of personal firewalls that block pings, a
duplicate address is very possible (almost inevitable in some
situations).

Simon