host config file based on vendor specific options and service level

Simon Hobson dhcp at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Apr 7 09:06:13 UTC 2006

roger murray wrote:

>As far as your question there are changes almost every reload, sometimes
>only a handful sometime thousands.
>Thank you for the idea of running redundant servers. If we have two
>identical dhcpd.conf's can we run two dhcpd's simultaneously. Is there any
>strange behaviour we should be aware of or configuration changes we should
>take?

If you are not using dynamic addressing then it's simply a matter of
a request, both servers will respond with the same lease info (and
the client will pick one - typically the first it receives). After
that, the client will contact the server it took the lease from for
renewals - only if it gets no response after several tries will it
revert to broadcasting.

Simon