fixed rrset ordering - is this still a thing?

Nick Tait nick at tait.net.nz
Fri Mar 1 22:56:42 UTC 2024

On 02/03/2024 11:36, Greg Choules wrote:
> Please don't encourage using "search" in resolv.conf or the Windows
> equivalent. Search domains make queries take longer, impose
> unnecessary load on resolvers and make diagnosis of issues harder
> because, when users say "it doesn't work" you have no idea what it was
> that didn't work.

This is not necessarily the case. If you are running your own recursive
resolvers that hold mirrors of the root zone, and if you only have a few
search domains, the impact will be negligible. Then it is a question of
ergonomics.

> I tried using separate subdomains for different interfaces on devices
> once and ran into exactly that problem. There's also the overhead of
> maintaining more zones than you really need.

Using sub-domains doesn't mean you have to create separate zones. All
the example names I gave could be included in the "example.com" zone.