Deprecation notice force BIND 9.20+: "rrset-order fixed" and "sortlist"

Greg Choules gregchoules+bindusers at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 1 10:37:09 UTC 2024

2nd $beverage consumed.
I have never liked sortlist since I inherited it 16 years ago in my
previous job.

For me it suffers from at least one fundamental problem:
- If a client, say at location "1", is given a bunch of sorted A records
with the server at location "1" first, what does the client do when the
server at location "1" is down?

Clients come in many varieties. Some are capable of cacheing multiple
answers, timing out and trying a different one, some are not. This leads to
service reliability issues because, even though a perfectly healthy
instance of the service may exist at site "2", clients (at site "1") are
still told by DNS, go to site "1"

The DNS service is not (by default) either application or client-aware. It
just gives the answers you tell it to, whether they're working or not.

If you want an efficient, reliable multi-site service, use load-balancers
that can direct traffic from local clients to a local service instance, or
use an application aware DNS server (I can think of one; I'm sure others
exist) that monitors availability, delay and whatever other metrics are
important and feeds the DNS resolvers with *the* answer they want them to
give to a client at this moment in time. ECS would even allow said box to
be aware of client location, to use as an additional metric when making
this decision.

In summary, Do the hard work of traffic steering somewhere else and let
your DNS resolvers deliver the chosen answer. Don't make the resolvers
themselves try to do this on the basis of incomplete information.