feature request for improving named-compilezone

Petr Špaček pspacek at isc.org
Fri Jan 19 20:26:46 UTC 2024

On 18. 01. 24 19:16, Marco Davids (SIDN) via bind-users wrote:
> How hard would it be to let named-compilezone keep any remarks that are
> present in the source file? Because now it strips them and that is
> problematic.

TL;DR Hard.

Why? The program reads the zone file into BIND's memory-database
representation and then dumps the database back into file. The database
does not even have ability to keep any of "remarks"/comments because
they are useless for the server itself.

Having said that, I personally think that DNS is long overdue for a
better zone transfer protocol, along with extensible zone file format.
If you or someone else has an appetite to create new specification how
to handle "non-DNS attributes" for individual RRs/RRsets/names then
let's talk! I would love to work on that. And once comments/non-DNS
attributes are first-class citizens in DNS server it will "naturally"
solve the problem you are having.

--
Petr Špaček
Internet Systems Consortium