Problem upgrading to 9.18 - important feature being removed

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at isc.org
Tue Feb 27 14:54:08 UTC 2024

As the main developer of dnssec-policy, I would like to confirm that
what has been said by Michael and Nick are correct.

I will repeat the most important takeaways:

- Setting the lifetime to unlimited on keys and BIND will never roll
your keys automatically.

- Most issues that were shared on this list have to do with migrating to
dnssec-policy.

- When migrating to dnssec-policy, make sure the configuration matches
your existing keys.

- Make sure the migration is complete by checking that all states are in
'omnipresent' (with 'rndc dnssec -status <zone>').

- If you feel like the DS is stuck in 'rumoured' state you might need to
run 'rndc dnssec -checkds seen' on the key.

- It is not recommended to switch to dnssec-policy if you are currently
in a rollover.

I acknowledge that migration takes some care and I wish the process was
easier. We have some ideas to make it less error prone, but I haven't
found the time to work on that.

On the more positive side, we haven't heard

Thanks to all for switching to dnssec-policy and reporting issues.

Best regards,

Matthijs