BIND 9.16 is approaching EOL in April, 2024

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Mon Feb 26 16:35:02 UTC 2024

The BIND 9.16 release branch is approaching EOL as of April, 2024. We encourage users running 9.16 or (gasp) 9.11, to upgrade to 9.18.

The 9.18 branch has consistently out-performed the 9.16 branch, and we are confident that it is more stable than 9.16. One of our support engineers has prepared a helpful knowledgebase article on updating from 9.16 to 9.18 (https://kb.isc.org/docs/changes-to-be-aware-of-when-moving-from-bind-916-to-918) which may be useful to you as you plan your migration.

For an overview of our release plan, we maintain another knowledgebase article (https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-00896). This was updated earlier this month, to move the start of future new stable branches from Q1 to Q2. The problem with starting a new stable branch in Q1 is, after the long holiday quiet period, we always have a number of important fixes and changes we need to release *before* we can start a new stable branch. We are currently projecting that our next stable branch, BIND 9.20, will be released in Q2.

For your convenience, we also maintain our planned EOL dates listed next to each software release on https://www.isc.org/download/.

Vicky Risk