dnssec-analyzer.verisignlabs.com aaaa lookup fail

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Apr 30 23:33:14 UTC 2024

> On 1 May 2024, at 03:32, Lee <ler762 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Apr 29, 2024 at 11:40 PM Walter H. wrote:
>>
>> On 29.04.2024 22:19, Lee wrote:
>>> On Sun, Apr 28, 2024 at 2:18 AM Walter H. via bind-users
>>> <bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> something that I replied to and got this in response:
>>>
>>> Error Icon
>>>  Message blocked
>>> Your message to Walter.H@[..snip..] has been blocked. See technical
>>> details below for more information.
>>>
>>> The response from the remote server was:
>>> 554 5.7.1 : Client host rejected: Use IPv4
>>>

>> For explanation: this is MY mail server, which blocks IPv6 connections from
>>
>> Outlook.com
>> Gmail.com
>>
>> as these are the biggest SPAM senders
>
> Which is fine .. your server, your rules.
> But maybe what isn't so fine is me replying only to the list and still
> getting a 'rejected: Use IPv4' msg.  I don't know how the mailing list
> works; I'm a bit surprised that I can reply only to the list, get the
> Client host rejected msg and somehow you can still get the msg??

Presumably ISC sent the list message over IPv6 to them and the rejection rules
kicked in.  ISC sends email over IPv6 and they accept email over IPv6.  This is
what happens when you put something into the rejection rules which has zero
relationship whether something is spam or ham.

I just find it interesting that someone using mx01.ipv6help.de as a MX would be
so interested in punishing IPv6 use.