Question about resolver

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Apr 26 20:28:42 UTC 2024

DS records live in the parent zone and the RFC 1034 rules for serving zone break down when a grandparent zone and child zone are served by the same server.  This is corrected be the client by looking for intermediate NS records to find the hidden delegations then resuming the DS lookup.

Named was looking up theses NS records I.e. chasing the DS servers.   This can result in named finding delegation errors.  QNAME minimisation also exposes these errors as it also does NS queries.  Garbage in breakage out.
--
Mark Andrews