Stop leaking queries for RFC 1918 zones

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Fri Sep 22 16:45:22 UTC 2023

The global/view option

    empty-zones-enable yes;

isn't behaving as I expected.

I had expected that it would cause empty "RFC 1918" zones to be created
for those zones for which there were not local zones defined. That is,
if there were no local zones of this type defined, it would create all
the required empty zones. But if 10.in-addr.arpa was defined locally, it
would skip that but define the rest of them.

After looking at my logs, and seeing that I'm leaking RFC 1918 queries,
I see my expectations were wrong.

Is explicitly defining the remaining empty zones the best way to correct
this?

Or maybe add the un-used RFC 1918 zones to our RPZ?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska