Unhelpful startup message re: RPZ

Greg Choules greg at isc.org
Thu Sep 21 16:43:38 UTC 2023

Hi John.
From the ARM:
response-policy
…
Blocks: options, view
Tags: server, security, query, zone
Specifies response policy zones for the view or among global options.

Blocks: says where this statement can be used; i.e. in global options or within a view.
The description is reasonably clear (I think) that you specify this globally (in options { ) if you don’t have views, or you specify it in a view along with the RPZ zone(s) you are defining.

Remember that as soon as you have one or more user-defined views, all zone “….” statements must go into them and you cannot have zones defined outside of views anymore - either/or. This means that if you define RPZ zones inside views then the corresponding “response-policy” statement(s) must also go into the same views.

Perhaps the log message could be a little less cryptic and yes, as Ondřej says, Gitlab is the place to go to request some nicer wording, or any other changes you think would be beneficial.

Hope that helps.
Cheers, Greg