consolidating in-addr.arpa data

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Sat Sep 16 00:15:33 UTC 2023

A host which auto-registers in MS DNS, creates an A in foo.alaska.gov
and PTR in whatever.10.in-addr.arpa. MS DNS is happy to publish those.

But the DNS system running on BIND also has a whatever.10.in-addr.arpa
zone.

So if I want to find the PTR for 13.12.11.10.in-addr.arpa, I must query
both DNS systems in turn. If I get NXDOMAIN from both, then I can say
the PTR doesn't exist.

On each system, I'd like to be able to take the 10.in-addr.arpa data
from the other, compute the differences, and incorporate them locally.
Then I'll be able to query either system, and accept an NXDOMAIN with
confidence.

And since writing my earlier note, I have re-located the code I think I
stumbled across earlier

Tony Finch's "nsdiff"

https://dotat.at/prog/nsdiff/

John Thurston    907-465-8591