Should I set parental-agents to localhost?

Björn Persson Bjorn at xn--rombobjrn-67a.se
Mon Sep 11 11:52:35 UTC 2023

Hello, I'm trying to configure automatic KSK (or CSK) rollover. I'm
confused about how to poll securely for DS records.

Section 5.1.2.1 of the BIND 9 Administrator Reference Manual says:

| [parental-agents] needs to be a trusted server, because BIND does not
| validate the response.

and section 8.2.26.1 says:

| The DS response is not validated so it is recommended to set up a
| trust relationship with the parental agent. For example, use TSIG to
| authenticate the parental agent, or point to a validating resolver.

I don't think the registry wants to exchange TSIG keys with every
domain holder. A validating resolver seems much more achievable. My
master server is also the validating resolver of its host. Can I set
parental-agents to localhost to make BIND ask itself to validate the DS
response? Or would it still do the lookup in the same non-validating
way? Or would it enter infinite recursion? Must the validating resolver
be a different name server from the master server that performs the key
rollover?

Björn Persson