Local network IPv6 addresses

Marco mo01 at posteo.de
Sun Sep 3 18:30:30 UTC 2023

Am 03.09.2023 um 18:36:53 Uhr schrieb Alessandro Vesely:

> DHCP server has options to insert leased addresses in a dynamic zone.
>  That works for IPv4.  PCs connected to the LAN somehow discover the
> gateway has a routable IPv6 address and self-assign an address in
> that range, besides the fe80:: thing, without talking to a DHCP
> server.
>
> Is there a method to get those addresses into the DNS?

This is the SLAAC - it doesn't use DHCPv6.
No domain name will be assigned by this method, so I see no reason for
DNS.

You can configure your router to advertise the prefix without the A
flag, so no SLAAC happens.
YOu need then to configure a DHCPv6. Then it should me possible to pass
the lease information into a dynamic DNS zone.