BIND 9.18 unable to successfully transfer zone from axfrdns primary

Michael Sinatra michael at brokendns.net
Fri Sep 1 01:08:32 UTC 2023

Right, BIND 9.18 now enforces Section 2.2 of RFC 5936, specifically, this:
    "The AXFR server MUST copy the
    Question section from the corresponding AXFR query message into the
    first response message's Question section.  For subsequent messages,
    it MAY do the same or leave the Question section empty."

There are some older implementations out there that don't do this
correctly.  I have a vendor supported IPAM implementation, where I have
gone back to the vendor and quoted the above, and they have fixed the
implementation.

michael