Bind forgets my changes with nsupdate

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Sun Oct 8 15:54:21 UTC 2023

201907-bind at planhack.com wrote:
    >> My solution is not to mix dynamic update with other access.  Instead,
    >> I put in CNAMEs in the signed zone to a sub-zone (or other zone) where
    >> I do exclusive dynamic update.  This isn't perfect, but it works well
    >> enough to allow dns-01 (certbot/LetsEncrypt) to be able to refresh my
    >> certificates.

    > Not perfect? What issues did you see? Thanks!

a) there are still a number of situations where systems do not follow CNAMEs when
   they should.  Particularly relating to RFC2317 reverse delegations.

b) using a second zones introduces additional possibilities for DNSSEC to be
   broken.

c) cruft accumulates in the second zone, and some of it does not get deleted.

d) updates to secondaries sometimes take longer than certbot is able to cope with.
   ("up-arrow-return" solves the problem if interactive.  Cron running a week
   later usually works)