Bind forgets my changes with nsupdate

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Fri Oct 6 19:37:16 UTC 2023

In general, you don't want to mix dynamic update zones with ones that you
want to edit by hand.  I see that you are doing manual DNSSEC signing in your
cron job.

Your choices are:
a) do everything with dynamic update, and turn on automatic DNSSEC management
   in bind9.

b) do your DNSSEC signing inline.
   I blogged poorly about my setup:
   https://www.sandelman.ca/mcr/blog/sysadmin/bind9-dnssec-formula/

c) a mix of the above.
   My solution is not to mix dynamic update with other access.
   Instead, I put in CNAMEs in the signed zone to a sub-zone (or other zone)
   where I do exclusive dynamic update.  This isn't perfect, but it works
   well enough to allow dns-01 (certbot/LetsEncrypt) to be able to refresh my
   certificates.