How should I configure internal and external DNS servers

Nick Howitt nick at howitts.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 17:58:51 UTC 2023

On 03/11/2023 17:54, Marco M. wrote:
> Am 03.11.2023 um 17:48:32 Uhr schrieb Nick Howitt via bind-users:
>
>> My problem is the use of external IP's duplicated between the
>> internal and external masters for some IPs/FQDNs which I want to get
>> rid of.
> Implement IPv6 and get rid of the old IPv4 technology for internal
> communication.
>
> It is a big task, but after it is being done, many nasty stuff is gone
> like NAT hairpinning or split-DNS.
Not remotely on the cards with 200+ servers and so on, I'm afraid. Some
of the servers are too old, I think for IPv6 - SLES 11.

Really I am looking to see if it is possible to turn the internal DNS
server, bind-internal, into a caching server and help with how to do it.
Or not to do it if it is a bad idea.