How should I configure internal and external DNS servers

Nick Howitt nick at howitts.co.uk
Fri Nov 3 16:32:35 UTC 2023

Hmm, I'll admit to only skim reading it but is seems quite complicated
for what I was hoping for. It would be trivial if I could change the
bind-internal machine to using dnsmasq (ugh!). Then the bind-internal
machine would serve up anything it explicitly knew about to the internal
clients, and anything that it didn't know about, it would automatically
request from the internet, which would include the bind-external
machine. Then, if I configured external IP's on bind-external only, they
would still be returned by by bind-internal to the machines using
bind-internal as their resolver. I was hoping I could set something like
recursion=true in bind-internal and recursion=false on bind-external,
only in my configs for BIND 9.9.6-P1, it is not set at all so I am not
sure how it is configured as authoritative.

Nick