bind9 (9.18.14) build / install on macOS Ventura (13.3.1) fails to create dirs or files as expected

Pacific info at pacific-holding.com
Tue May 9 22:08:00 UTC 2023

Hi, thanks for the reply.

For some reason I thought it did install or drop a base bones named.conf file, however, it should have dropped the named binary into /usr/local  — which it didn’t do. And none of the other “various BIND 9 libraries”.

The bind docs at https://bind9.readthedocs.io/en/latest/chapter10.html#build-bind

in section 10.2 on building show this:

make install installs named <https://bind9.readthedocs.io/en/latest/manpages.html#std-iscman-named> and the various BIND 9 libraries. By default, installation is into /usr/local, but this can be changed with the --prefix option when running configure.

The option --sysconfdir can be specified to set the directory where configuration files such as named.conf <https://bind9.readthedocs.io/en/latest/manpages.html#std-iscman-named.conf> go by default; --localstatedir can be used to set the default parent directory ofrun/named.pid. --sysconfdir defaults to $prefix/etc and --localstatedir defaults to $prefix/var.

If I’m missing something please let me know - or if you have any suggestions, like just moving the named binary from my temp dir into /usr/local I’d appreciate. Thanks.