Bind dns amplification attack

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Mar 28 18:18:30 UTC 2023

> Yes, this is one of the problem "authoritative zones for local use".

Authorizing the /zone/ for local use wasn't the problem.  The problem
was that the world could get some of that zone's data from the query
cache even if they couldn't query the zone directly.

> The default root "hint" zone is only available for those who have
> recursion available.

I feel like the "root hint zone" is considerably different than "root
zone" proper.  The fact that they have different zone types seems to
support that.

;-)

I bring this up as this is something that I've stubbed my toe on and I
would like it if others can avoid similarly stubbing their toes.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die