Bind listener to an IPv6 from AnyIP subnet

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Sun Mar 12 19:41:34 UTC 2023

Serg via bind-users <bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:
    > As an alternative approach I have tried to run with a configuration
    > "listen-on-v6 { any; }", but it does behave in a way I need - it binds
    > separate socket for each discovered IP address rather wildcard address
    > of [::].

Bind needs to bind a new socket for each address so that it can easily know
which address is being communicated with.  While there are newer ways to do
this, they aren't that portable.

What is the problem with binding to all the addresses, if you then filter
which addresses will actually respond?

Many large authoritative resolvers put the anycast address on the lo, and then use
BGP to announce connectivity, and AFAIK, they all just listen on all
addresses, because sometimes you want to ask a specific server a question.