Correlation between NOTIFY-Source and AXFR-Source

Paul Stead paul.stead at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 07:21:02 UTC 2023

On Thu, 9 Mar 2023, 23:53 Grant Taylor via bind-users, <
bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:

> On 3/9/23 2:25 PM, Paul Stead wrote:
> > Chiming in to say +1 to Kalus' logic and sight of benefit here.
>
> Please forgive my ignorance in asking:
>
> Why doesn't the order of the configured primaries suffice?
>
> N.B. I'm assuming that this is the the order of the primaries for a zone
> in the named.conf file and not actually zone contents.
>
> What am I failing to understand?

For much the reasons Klaus cited, really.

Given the example:

masters {
  1.1.1.1
  2.2.2.2
};

Imagine that 1.1.1.1 has lost network connectivity recently. A notify comes
from 2.2.2.2 - if I understand correctly Bind will try 1.1.1.1 first, time
out and then try 2.2.2.2 - even though we know given the situation that
2.2.2.2 has the latest copy of the zone we want.

For what it's worth, NSD also seems to follow the logic of using the
notifier as the next master/primary to target - xfrd.c -
xfrd_handle_passed_packet

Paul