latency and response time

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 27 17:23:00 UTC 2023

Personally, I would consider response time to be the duration between the arrival of a request at the DNS server and when the server spits the response for the request out its local network interface, and latency to be the additional time the request and response spend traversing the network between the client and server.

So what the client sees is the sum of response_time + (2 * latency) {making the somewhat arbitrary assumption that the latency is the same in both directions, which isn't really valid just because of the different sizes of the request and response, potentially exacerbated by network links on the path with asymmetrical baud rates}.

Just my $.02 (or whatever your local currency is).

Andrew Pavlin
ka2ddo.org