Best way to handle multiple retries from BIND?

Fred Morris m3047 at m3047.net
Mon Jun 26 17:11:25 UTC 2023

Well in this case... I'd be more interested in ways to tune BIND's
internal resolver behavior.

On Sun, 25 Jun 2023, Randy Bush wrote:
>> If you have a true duplicate you only need to answer it once otherwise
>> you have different clients and you need to answer all of them.  Note
>> there can be multiple clients on the same address.

True, in the general case. Here, not so much.

> i gotta ask.
>
> so, for address foux, how do i know if there is one client or more than
> one?

In this case DNS is a gateway sitting in front of a source of telemetry
data on a private network, and I know it only has defined clients because
I set it up that way. Anything that needs the data can ask those clients
(e.g. BIND) and that's the point: to hand off caching and access control
instead of reinventing the wheel. Nothing else running on the machine
where BIND is running in this example has any need to access the data in
the zone, whether directly or via BIND.

--

Fred Morris