Controlling which interface named uses

Alessandro Vesely vesely at tana.it
Fri Jun 9 15:26:04 UTC 2023

Hi,

I have two WANs.  As a leftover from the times when I had no IPv6 address, I
was running named with -4 option.  I just removed it a couple of minutes ago.
However, I still have IPv4 precedence in gai.conf:
precedence  ::1/128               50     0
precedence  ::/0                  40     1
precedence  2002::/16             30     2
precedence  ::/96                 20     3
precedence  ::ffff:0:0/96        100     4

Before removing -4, I had the problem that when the interface to the default
route was down, named couldn't resolve any query.  The problem disappeared
because the routable IPv6 addresses are on the other WAN.  But what is going to
happen when it goes down?

It seems named only uses IPv6 to resolve queries, gai.conf notwithstanding.

Having two WANs, it would be reasonable, in case one doesn't work, to try the
other one.  However, it's always useless to try the LAN.  Is there any way to
configure which interface is used for outgoing queries?

Best
Ale