Issue: Name huawei.com (SOA) not subdomain of zone cloud.huawei.com -- invalid response

Jesus Cea jcea at jcea.es
Fri Jun 2 03:02:51 UTC 2023

On 2/6/23 4:25, Mark Andrews wrote:
> Yep, some people just don’t take care with delegations.  Complain to Huawei.
> Complain to the other companies you list in your followup email.
>
> All it takes to fix this is to change the name of the zone on the child servers
> (ns3.dnsv5.com, gns1.huaweicloud-dns.org and ns4.dnsv5.com) from “huawei.com”
> to “cloud.huawei.com” and perhaps adjust the NS and SOA records for the zone
> if they are fully qualified.  If there are other delegations from huawei.com
> for other sub zones to these servers they will also need to be instantiated.
>
> It’s maybe 10 minute work for each subdomain to fix.  It just requires someone
> to do the work.

I sympathize. Expertise and caring for the job is something the world is
losing fast and few people care at all. Complaining to business is not
going to work, because this misconfiguration works fine for 99.9% of
their users, clients of more "lax" DNS resolvers.

What I get from your reply is that BIND is not expected to do anything
about this. It is a bit disappointed but I agree that BIND is doing the
right thing. Too bad big players don't care. But I need to "solve" this,
so dropping BIND (nooo!) or patching software is on my table now.

> When people come to you and say that it works with Google, et al. point them at
> https://dnsviz.net/d/cloud.huawei.com/dnssec/ which reports this error and say
> “Here is a DNS configuration testing site and it reports the zone as broken, you
> need to take it up with the company."

"Whatever, Google works and you don't. You sucks!". Few people care
about doing the right thing if crap works for them. If only 8.8.8.8
cared and gave back SERVFAIL as it should, everybody would fix her
configuration immediately. Postel law [*] was a mistake (be strict when
sending and forgiving when receiving). Nice advice, awful consequences
we will pay forever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle

--
Jesús Cea Avión                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - https://www.jcea.es/    _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/