interpretation of timeout errors from forwarders

Olaf Hering olaf at aepfle.de
Mon Jul 24 13:02:26 UTC 2023

Hello,

in the logs I see occasionally entries like this, for various remote zones:

2023-07-24T08:37:30.531Z query-errors: info: client @0x7feaf40cd570 1.2.3.4#45736 (push.services.mozilla.com): query failed (timed out) for push.services.mozilla.com/IN/A at query.c:7465

The named version 9.16.42 serves its local DNS zone, everything else is supposed to come from the IT DNS servers. Therefore named.conf contains:

options {
  forward only;
  forwarders { ip4A; ip4B; }
};

It is my understanding that this local instance serves client queries either from its cache, or it relies on the two forwarders to provide an answer. It should not try to find an answer itself, because if the forwarders fail to find an answer, this instance will most likely fail to do so as well.

Now the questions are: does named contact both forwarders for an answer at the same time, or one after the other, or just a single one of both? In case one times out like shown above, will it ask the other one?

Thanks,
Olaf